At the stroke of midnight I will be 820450416.518754 (just over 800 million) seconds old.
In that time I’ve experienced a great deal of what being a human has to offer, and while I can’t say the experience has been entirely enjoyable, when considered as a whole, this life I’ve lead is best represented as a bag of the world’s most intensely flavored licorice allsorts.
So what have I done in 26 years?
- I’ve gained a small but awesome group of close friends
- I’ve got a strong set of morals to guide me. (thanks Mum)
- I’m directed by Science, logic and reason (thanks for not determining our religion Mum)
- I’ve learned that I’m extremely hard to kill.
- I’ve lived in at least three countries (thanks Mum & Stu)
- I’ve found my calling in life (Huge thank you to Granddad)
- I’ve almost got my Diploma in ICT (Tim, Heydon and Rikki, thanks for helping)
- I’ve got a job (Thanks in part to Tim)
- I’ve eaten some amazing food (largely thanks to Mum)
- I’ve got an awesome command of English (big thanks to Nanna and Mum, and my English teachers Mrs. Walsh and Mrs. Newton)
- I’ve got a solid upper body (Thanks Cerebral Palsy)
- I’ve listened to some considerably awesome music. (Thanks The Prodigy)
- I’ve got a good appreciation of world history (Thanks SKC)
- I know about Catholicism (Thanks Mr Farrell)
- I’ve got a solid appreciation of 90s computer games
(Thanks Stu – 101 Best CD Games was aptly titled)
- I’ve experienced the joy of Leisure suit Larry (Thanks Morgan & Thomas)
- I’ve broken a few laws
- I’ve learned that I am not a morning person
- I’ve learned that I’m not a math person (thanks PR109)
- I’ve learned that almost everything ending in ‘ism’ is bad. Sexism, racism etc.
- I’ve learned to research and write excellent essays (Mrs. Newton, Mrs. Walsh, Chris)
- I can appreciate a robust debate
- I’ve had some awesome sex
- I’ve had some not so awesome sex
- I’ve learned fiscal responsibility (thanks Microsoft Excel)
- I’ve learned that the most satisfying things are the hardest to achieve (Thanks Intel)
- I’ve learned to be selective about the opinions I consider
- I’ve learned that I still have a lot to learn, and that no matter how much I know, there will always be something I don’t know, and probably should
It’s been a good run so far. I’ve got a lot of countries to see, and a lot left to do, so chances are you’ll see another one of these next year.